My sister did the grocery shopping for this dinner, and I'll admit I was skeptical when she came home with Green Lentil Lasagne instead of the brown rice lasagna noodles I asked her to buy. I've had a lot of experiences with lentil, corn, or quinoa pasta quickly turning mushy, but these Green Lentil Lasagne noodles turned out to be delicious, and held their consistency when I reheated the leftovers days after Christmas.
This recipe can easily be made gluten free by removing the Beefless Ground Beef. I usually make my own ricotta with tofu and cashews, so this was my first time using these ingredients and they were overall very good! Although, I would have replaced the Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Slices with my favorite Daiya Mozzarella Shreds.
- Organic Green Lentil Lasagne
- Zucchinis - mandoline sliced lengthwise
- Mushrooms - thinly sliced
- Fresh Spinach Leaves
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Fresh Arugula (optional)
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion - thinly sliced
- 4 Cloves Garlic - minced
- Tomato Paste
- Sea Salt
- Trader Joe's Beefless Ground Beef
- Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Style Slices
- Kite Hill Ricotta
- Preheat the oven according to the instructions on the lasagna noodles.
- Slice the zucchinis lengthwise with a mandoline. Lay the thin pieces of zucchini on sheets of paper towels to dry out while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms and yellow onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Sauté the onions, mushrooms, and garlic in a large pan with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a deep baking dish in a mixture of the tomato paste and marinara sauce, followed by a layer of the lasagne noodles (the kind I used didn't need to be pre-boiled), then another layer of the tomato sauce, a layer of the ricotta, a layer of the beefless ground beef, a layer of the sauteed mushrooms and onions, and then a layer of the zucchini.
- Continue layering until you run out of ingredients or fill the baking dish. I always top my lasagna with a layer of the noodles, marinara, and the veggies before placing it in the oven.
- Bake according to the instructions specific to your lasagna noodles. I baked mine uncovered, and added the final layer of vegan mozzarella cheese 10 minutes before the dish was done. The mozzarella should look golden when it is ready.