This dark green beauty is DELICIOUS & so good for you too! All the fruit I used was purchased frozen from Trader Joes, except the bananas which I always peel and freeze myself. Frozen fruit gives smoothies a wonderful thick and creamy texture, it also doesn't oxidize and turn brown like fresh fruit sometimes does in the blender.
Tips to avoid brown smoothies:
- Blend the greens first, separately from the fruit ingredients; doing this allows you to finely blend the greens to ensure there's no chunks while avoiding over blending the fruit.
- Don't over blend fruit (this will cause oxidation). Pulse the blender, stop as soon as it's blended.
- Use frozen bananas. Once my bananas start to brown I peel them, place them in a zip lock bag & pop them in the freezer.
- Don't mix berries and greens. Sometimes a berry and greens mix can taste good, but how can you really enjoy something that looks like sludge?
- Ginger root
- Greens (I used a mix of spinach, kale, & chard)
- 1/2 an Avocado
- 3 Dates
- 1.5 Bananas
- 1 Tbsp. Flax Seed
- 1 Tbsp. Activated Charcoal (I talk more about activated charcoal here)
- Lemon juice
- Tangerine Juice
- Water to blend
- Peel and chop up the ginger root, add it to the blender with your choice of greens. Blend. (this step is very important if you want to avoid having a chunky brown smoothie!)
- Once the ginger and greens look well blended add the remaining ingredients.
- Blend & enjoy!